This review is going to be a little different from the others. I’ve written a short recap about last week’s episode, but I also wanted to think about what might happen in tonight’s finale. (And if anyone does know for sure, please no spoilers!)
Will Arya do something to Sansa? What will happen between Jon Snow and Dany? Will Bran finally tell all? (God, let’s hope so!)
As I recap Episode 6: Beyond the Wall…Beware, Spoilers ahead!
A lot of entertaining stuff happened last episode…but then again, a lot of implausible stuff happened as well. Jon Snow and company finally catch a wight, but not before Jon kills another White Walker. Jon Snow and company learn that if you kill a White Walker, you also kill the dead men that it has turned.
Tormund and the Hound exchange some very amusing dialogue about how Tormund loves Brienne and wants to make “monster babies” with her. The Beyond-the-Wall-Avengers all encounter a dead polar bear, which eventually results in the death of Thoros, the red priest. After their wight shrieks like one of the Nazgul from Lord of the Rings, they find themselves in the middle of a frozen lake all surrounded by the dead men.
Jon sees no way out, except for sending ravens for help, and if you thought that Gendry was going to have some kind of epic scene with this war hammer, you were sadly mistaken. He runs to the wall for help, which only happens to be a convenient jog away.
Dany shows up a few days later, and although its awesome to see her dragons burn the dead, the Night King still gets his last revenge. He kills Viserion, one of the dragons, and turns it into one of the undead. Dany is forced to leave Jon Snow behind to save the rest of her dragons.
Arya confronts Sansa about the letter, (the one where Sansa supposedly betrays the starks.) Sansa discovers what Arya has been doing with the faceless men. It is clear that Little Finger has done a good job to sow doubt between the two of them.
The King in the North escapes death again with the help of an undead Uncle Benjen. Dany sees Jon’s stab wounds. He apologizes to her about the loss of her dragon and feels very bad about it, considering her heartbreak. He names her his Queen and says he’ll bend the knee, but you know, he can’t, because he’s laying down…
Sansa is invited to King’s Landing (we are assuming because of the parlay with Dany, the wight and crew,) but considering what happened to her when she was last there…she has no desire to return. She sends Brienne in her place.
What about the implausible?
Considering we are in a fictional world with dragons, White Walkers, and Dothraki…everything is implausible, but did Game of Thrones finally go too far?
- It seems that everyone in Game of Thrones has the ability to teleport…(although, not taking time from the story for travel does have advantages.)
- Setting Gendry up to be part of the battle, only to have him run for help seems a bit of a let down.
- Getting trapped on a frozen lake with no way out except for Dany to fly north and rescue them, seems a bit out of character for Jon…and implausible. They would have frozen to death on that lake before she arrived.
- The side story between Arya and Sansa is tiresome. We’ve watched them both overcome so many trials…only to squabble like siblings jealous of the other.
What do I want to happen in tonight’s episode?
- I want Bran to finally reappear and be like to Arya and Sansa: Yo, Little Finger is leading you guys on. And by the way Jon: Dany is your aunt.
- Although the incest level is high, I want more scenes with Dany and Jon. It seems like at this point, the two are destined to be together in some way.
- I want to see more history of the White Walkers, preferably from Bran-vision, (although this is unlikely.)
- I want to see Cersei die…although, not sure how I feel about this. But as far as super-villains go, I hope she gets a great death.
- I want to see all the Starks reunite. A Jon and Arya reunion, especially.
With the show drawing to a close after the eighth season, I’m starting to wonder if there is time to get all the answers we’ve been waiting for. We’ve trusted the writers to give us a satisfactory ending, but after this latest episode..I’m starting to have my doubts. Where are they going with this?
What are your thoughts? What would you like to see? (No spoilers, if you actually know!)