I know this review is a little late…okay it is VERY late, but look forward to a review later this week of the more recent episode…
Beware…Giants and spoilers ahead!
Hook and Emma make a climb up the bean-stalk in search of the magic compass, while in the flashback world, Emma falls in love with a fellow car thief, Neil. A man, who, coincidentally turns out to be the mysterious man in the very first episode of this season.
Meanwhile, down on the ground, Aurora is haunted by dreams, a side effect from her sleeping curse. While Mulan honors her promise to Emma, by marking time in the dirt with a stick. If she’s not back in ten hours, cut that bean stalk down!
There was a lot of character juicyness in this episode and there is definitely no way that I can cover it all, but here’s an interesting plot twist: Perhaps Henry’s father is not as bad as Emma believes him to be. Does this mean that Once Upon a Time’s loneliest character might actually get a chance for a happily ever after?
While teenage Emma in the flashback world definitely appeared wise and more grown up behind her years, the love that she had for fellow thief Niel was believable. It is even more understandable now why Emma struggles with trust. A fact that becomes apparent to Hook, who gets left behind with the giant.
Some other observations:
- Every character that has been through a sleeping curse goes through nightmares, a side effect, Snow says. Of a red room, fire and someone watching. For some reason, all I can think about is the Queen of Hearts. A coincidence that every one else has the same dreams? I think not! Snow said that they go away after a while, but she turned away when she said this. Dun, dun dun!
- Now, what is in August’s box of tricks? My thoughts: maybe it reveals the future.
- We will see Henry’s father again!
- Hook! His pirate-ness. “Waste of some bloody rum, if you ask me.”
- The love between Niel and Emma. He’s not so much of a douche after all.
- The appearance of August. I wondered when he was going to make his appearance. (He so did not give that money to Emma, just saying.)
- I loved seeing some back story of Emma, and definitely makes me feel more empathetic towards her character.
A great episode and now off to this weeks episode! Expect a review for that one in a few days at the latest. Did I mention how much I love this TV show? 🙂