Well, FINALLY finished watching last week’s episode of Once Upon a Time’s “The Crocodile,” and all I can say is there’s soon to be rough waters ahead!
Beware matey! Spoilers ahead! Arrr! 😉
With the introduction of Captain Hook, Once upon a Time creator’s have also introduced a new storyline: Captain Hook has paired up with Cora, (Regina’s mother) in the present day Enchanted forest world in the hopes to get to Storybrooke, Maine. Hook for his revenge on Rumpelstiltskin and Cora for Regina, of course.
This episode focused on Rumpelstiltskin’s back story, whilst progressing Belle’s story in the Storybrooke world. Meanwhile, in the back story of Rumple’s long search for his son, we are introduced to a “Killian Jones,” a ruggedly handsome Captain, who sweeps Rumple’s wife, Mila, off her feet, and who eventually becomes the angry Captain Hook of the Peter Pan world.
With the introduction of a magic bean and a man’s desire to never age, we have the bumbling, weaker side-kick character of Smee. I must say, I am impressed with the show’s ability to introduce so many new characters in one episode but still progress the plot. An ability, I believe, which is lost in a lot of our newer television shows!
Anyway, Highlights and Observations:
- Captain Hook is hott! Thank you creators! No yucky long-haired wig!
- Charming has become the new sheriff.
- Red’s nose is more sensitive lately. (The wolf thing she says). More on her story to come, I’m sure!
- Belle’s character grows in strength, sticking to the story we know and love – huh, she likes books! Who knew!
- Rumple finally admitting his reason for bringing back magic…do we believe him? And Belle asking Rumple if he’s ever had a hamburger. Too cute. (I love this because we will get to see the development of their relationship as the show goes on.)
- Rumple asking Charming for dating advice.
- No Emma, Snow, Aurora or Mulan in this episode I’m afraid.
- And lastly, this amazing bit of dialogue. As Cora shows Captain Hook her plan to get back to Storybrooke, a vial full of magic and he snorts and says: “Sparkly dirt. Wonderful.”
Will be interesting to see the explanation we are given for why some fairytale world characters remained and why the rest of them were cursed. A protection spell placed on the land perhaps? There was a lot in this episode, I definitely didn’t cover it all. If you have some thoughts, let me know!
Looking forward to the new episode! Finally! More on Dr. Whale!
A sneak peek below:
I have to say, I always thought Dr. Whale was a bit off, but Frankenstein? Hmm, perfect for a Halloween episode!